78 THE ADVOCATE
VOL. 77 PART 1 JANUARY 2019
5. Jean-Marie Henckaerts & Louise Doswald-Beck, Customary
International Humanitarian Law: Volume I,
Rules (Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press,
6. Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for
Human Rights, Minnesota Protocol on the Investigation
of Potentially Unlawful Death (2016), online:
oLwuNo3q53KBs,>. “The Protocol sets a common
standard of performance in investigating potentially
unlawful death or suspected enforced disappearance
and a shared set of principles and guidelines
for States, as well as for institutions and individuals
who play a role in the investigation’’: ibid, at para 1.
7. Online: <www.ohchr.org/Documents/Issues/Migra
8. UN Doc A/72/335 (15 August 2017), Section IV.B,
9. Statement from the Last Rights Project, online:
statement provides extensive case law and treaty
support for the various obligations: see esp 5–14.
10. Global Compact for Migration, Global Compact for
Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration (Zero Draft) (5
February 2018). This document has now gone to
states for their comments. The draft incorporates a
few of the recommendations included in the report
referenced at supra note 8.
11. Ibid at para 22.
12. See Yad Vashem, “The Central Database of Shoah
Victims’ Names”, online: <yvng.yadvashem.org/