THE ADVOCATE V O L . 7 5 P A R T 5 S E P T E M B E R 2 0 1 7 781
1. The authors thank the friendly staff at the Rossland
court registry and the Nanaimo courthouse library
for their assistance. This piece is based on materials
including Edward Mills, The Early Court Houses of
British Columbia, vol. 1 (Parks Canada: Manuscript
Report Number 288, November 1977); Karl Yu,
“Timeless Tales: Nanaimo Courthouse a Symbol of
Permanence”, Nanaimo News Bulletin (19 July
2016), online: <www.nanaimobulletin.com/news/
Walter Cordery, “Nanaimo’s Court
House Has a Long, Storied History”, Daily News (6
August 2011); Nanaimo Community Heritage Commission,
Columns, Cornices, & Coal: The Heritage
Resources of Nanaimo (Nanaimo: Nanaimo Community
Heritage Commission, 1999); Allyson Kenning,
“Tales and Legends of the Mountain Kingdom:
Two Architects”, The Rossland Telegraph (2 August
2012), online: <rosslandtelegraph.com/news/talesand
20282#.WYOgbpgzW9I>; Christopher Thomas,
“Canadian Architecture: 1867–1914”, The Canadian
Encyclopedia (4 March 2015), online: <www.
canadian-architecture-1867-1914>; and various
entries in the always informative <www.historic
places.ca>, which describes buildings on Canada’s
Register of Historic Places. See also the brief “Cover
Story” featuring the Rossland courthouse at (1976)
34 Advocate 331.
2. The ferry/driving route is, of course, much longer.
3. American examples include the Shadyside Presbyterian
Church in Pittsburgh and Richardson’s Trinity
Church in Boston.
4. Thomas, supra note 1.
5. American examples include the Allegheny County
Courthouse in Pittsburgh and the Jasper County Courthouse
in Carthage, Missouri. The latter has the square
towers found in Nanaimo and Rossland as well.
6. “Ontario’s Parliament Buildings: The New Legislative
Edifice in Queen’s Park, Toronto”, The Kootenay Star
(22 April 1893) at 3.
7. “Nelson’s New Postoffice: Building to Be Substantial
and Handsome”, The Tribune (12 December 1900) at
8. See the “Snuneymuxw Coal Story” plaque near the
Bastion in Nanaimo.
9. See the “No. 1 Mine” plaque near the Bastion.
10. Quoted in Patricia M Johnson, John G Parker & Gino
A Sedola, Nanaimo: Scenes from the Past
(Nanaimo: Nanaimo & District Museum Society,
11. 1894 is also the year that Nanaimo’s courthouse
library opened. It was the fourth to open in the
province, after the respective libraries of Victoria,
New Westminster and Vancouver. Nelson’s followed
in 1897 and Rossland’s in 1901.
12. See Ludmila B Herbst, QC, & Julie Nadalini, “Legal
Anecdotes and Miscellanea” (2017) 75 Advocate
13. “Nanaimo Court House”, online: <www.historic
14. “Empress Hotel National Historic Site of Canada”,
15. Rossland Museum and Discovery Centre, “Rossland
– A Brief History” (18 April 2017), online: <www.
16. Mills, supra note 1 at 161.
17. Ludmila B Herbst, “Fernie’s Fabulous Courthouse”
(2015) 73 Advocate 205.
18. “The New Court House: Rossland’s $50,000 Building
Formally Opened This Afternoon – A Pleasing
Ceremony”, The Evening World (27 May 1901).
19. Jack Kirkup was variously a police officer (of the true
law-and-order kind), mining recorder and government
agent. Legend has it John Wayne modelled his
on-screen persona after him; certainly Kirkup had
wide acclaim, with a sketch of him even appearing
in an 1891 issue of Harper’s Monthly. See Virtual
Museum of Canada, “Big John Kirkup”, online:
0517&sl=3982&pos=14&scpos=1>. After a lengthy
career in the Kootenays he retired to Nanaimo—
where else, given the theme of this article?
20. “A Delayed Account: Opening the Court House and
What Followed”, The Evening World (21 May 1901).
21. “Rossland Court House National Historic Site of
Canada”, online: <www.historicplaces.ca/en/repreg/
22. Mills, supra note 1 at 161.
t t t t t