THE ADVOCATE VOL.V O L . 75 7 5 PART P A R T 5 5 SEPTEMBER S E P T E M B E R 2017
2 0 1 7 773
By Ludmila B. Herbst, Q.C., and Erica C. Miller*
TALE OF TWO RICHARDSONIAN ROMANESQUE COURTHOUSES:
NANAIMO AND ROSSLAND1
Though located about 430 kilometres apart as the crow flies2 and designed
by different architects (two of British Columbia’s architectural heavyweights,
Francis Mawson Rattenbury and John J. Honeyman, respectively),
the heritage courthouses of Nanaimo and Rossland have striking similarities.
Both of these courthouses—whose distinct non-architectural identities
are still being shaped through continued courthouse operations—are examples
of the “Richardsonian Romanesque” architectural style, popular for
public buildings of the late 19th century.
The Rossland courthouse The Nanaimo courthouse
* Ludmila B. Herbst, Q.C., is the assistant editor of the Advocate and a partner at Farris, Vaughan, Wills & Murphy LLP
(“Farris”). Erica C. Miller is an associate at the same firm. Farris was established in 1903 but, even with that history, is
younger than both courthouses featured in this article.