612 V O L . 7 5 P A R T 4 J U L Y 2 0 1 7 THE ADVOCATE
in obtaining their Letters Patent of
Incorporation as a city on March 6,
1915. The city appointed P.E.
Wilson as its first city solicitor in
1915, a position he held until his
death in 1961.
We have a photograph of a building
on George Street in which an
upper window displays the words:
“P.E. Wilson—Barrister at Law”,
and one of the windows at street
level displays a banner which
states “For Mayor—Neil Gething—
Committee Rooms.” Rev. F.E. Runnalls,
in his excellent little book, A
History of Prince George, published
in 1946, states at page 143 that the
first election for Mayor of Prince
George took place on May 20, 1915
at which Neil Gething lost to W.G.
Gillett. That election allowed us to
determine that the photograph
would have been taken in April or
May of 1915.
As further evidence of the early
existence of the P.E. Wilson law
business, we have his Statutes of
British Columbia from the early
1900s. The volumes dated prior to
1916 all show evidence of having
been in a fire. In his book, Rev.
Runnalls states at page 150, “at midnight
on January 12, 1916, in the
bitter cold a disastrous fire broke
out and destroyed one of the main
business blocks, that between
Third and Fourth Avenue on the
east side of George Street. This
fire removed Hood’s large general
store and other pioneer buildings.”
The photograph referred to above
shows Hood’s Limited general
store in the building adjoining the
P.E. Wilson law office.
It is interesting to note that the
bindings and edges of the pages of
the Statutes of B.C. prior to 1916 are
singed, but the books themselves
were packed so tightly together
that their pages survived the fire.
These statutes are still on display
today in the reception area at the
offices of Wilson King in Prince